Probate Fee Pricing
Probate fee pricing – from the 6th December all Legal Firms who have a website must publish their prices for probate work where there is no dispute upon the Estate of the Deceased. We at Dawsons Law welcome this requirement as one of our values since being established in 2008 is cost transparency.
We are Solicitors at the Heart of the Community and therefore it is important to us that our experienced team can assist with the probate process in an efficient, cost transparent manner.
We know that losing a love one is very difficult and during the probate period we are here to help and guide you and if need be signpost you to additional support professionals. We are fully aware that the death of a loveone can bring family difficulties and our experience allows us to help navigate through the high emotions which often surrounds grief
Costs Range – Application of Grant and Representation Only
We anticipate this will take between 4 and 10 hours work and our legal fees range from £190 to £225 per hour. Total costs estimated at £760- £2250 (+VAT).
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
We will handle the full process for you. This quote is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 3 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are less than 3 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Additional Cost for Disbursements included in this fee:
- Probate application fee of £156 (or fee in place from time to time)
- £7 Swearing of the oath (per executor)
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£15 per beneficiary)
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost 50p (1 per asset usually).
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
How Long Will this Take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 6 – 10 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes between 8 and 12 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 6 and12 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally take 4 to 6 weeks.
Please note Estates where administration is required or where there are disputes will be charged at our hourly rate and if over £250,000 in net value will have 1% charged on personal assets and 0.5% on property value.
Or additionally we can offer 2% Fixed Fee of the gross estate which included obtaining the grant, collecting assets, dealing with HMRC, paying debts and distributing the estate.
Contact Dawsons Law for Further details